Filament LED Vs Normal LEDs

0

LEDs carry a plethora of benefits. These nice-looking bulbs offer energy saving, are eco-friendly, and are durable. These factors are enough for someone to make up their mind to switch to LED lighting. 

Mostly when you hear of LED bulbs, a picture of half-glass, the half-plastic design would pop up in your mind, but this isn’t just it. LEDs come in various other forms and shapes as well. For instance, the filament LED bulb is one of the most prominent designs in recent days. The filament LED bulbs have large glowing filaments with shining glass enclosures that look a lot like the old-school incandescent bulbs. So, if you’re looking to add a bit of vintage look to your cost-effective eco-friendly bulbs, this is the answer to your needs. 

This bulb may look really nice and all but it comes with a high price. Continue reading the article to learn about the good and bad sides of the normal LED bulbs and the filament LEDs to help you make a more informed decision when buying one. 

LEDs and Their Uniqueness

If you’re to know why filament LEDs are different from traditional LEDs, it’s important to first learn about the way LEDs operate. 

These light-emitting diodes have seen a huge surge in popularity in the past few years and they have completely overtaken the old incandescent or halogen bulbs. LEDs are mainly preferred over other types of lights because they offer a tremendously long lifespan. To put this into context, an average incandescent provides 1000 hours of light, whereas the same LED would give 50,000 hours or in some cases even more. 

Moreover, LEDs are considered solid-state lighting because of their longevity. This longevity comes due to the way LEDs produce light. Incandescent bulbs produce light when their filament is properly heated up, causing a lot of heat to be generated. This is mainly why they are to be handled with care and they die quickly too. Fluorescent lights work by exciting the gas molecules to illuminate, which again generates a lot of heat. On the other hand, LEDs generate light when current passes through a semiconductor. Simply put, semiconductors are a material that conducts electricity, partially. They have positive and negative charges moving around it. The light you see in LEDs is created when certain areas jump back and forth between the positive and negative charges. 

This whole light-producing process of LEDs is way more efficient than generating heat to light up the filament. Incandescent bulbs would only utilise 10% of the needed energy for the light, while the remaining 90% is wasted in the form of heat. This is why LEDs have a very long life because it cuts down on this monumental energy loss. 

However, LEDs do have one drawback in contrast to incandescent bulbs. For instance, they’re unable to produce a wide beam of light because most of the bulb is covered by the chip and heat sinks. 

The Filament LED Difference

After understanding the uniqueness of LED bulbs, now let’s shed light on why the filament LED is different from your run-of-the-mill LED bulbs. 

Filament LED bulbs boast a retro look. Their design has a complete glass enclosure unlike the partial glass in simple LEDs. The inside of these bulbs contains tiny LEDs positioned along with the glass cylinder that looks exactly like the filament of the old-school incandescent bulbs.

Typically, the filament LEDs come with a lot of filaments placed inside because just one would not be enough to produce the amount of light that is needed. In most of the filament LED bulbs, you’ll notice four different LED cylinders. 

However, the major difference between the two is seen in the placement and numbering of each LED in the bulb. In the traditional LEDs, there’s usually one large LED or sometimes a group of LEDs tightly packed into a small area. Conversely, filament LEDs have their diodes spread over various different lines. This unique arrangement allows for a heat sink, which is very important. 

All the differences mentioned above explain why traditional LEDs only have a 180 degree light angle, whereas the filament LEDs offer a wide-angle range similar to that of incandescent bulbs.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Translate »