Are you yet to file your Income Tax Return (ITR)? Are you worried about an impending fine/penalty?
Don’t bother! You still have some more time.
Yes. In a press statement dated October 24, 2020, CBDT extended the due date of ITR filing for most individual taxpayers by one more month. Instead of 30th November, your new ITR filing deadline is 31st December 2020.
Filing an ITR has become much easier these days. You can file your Tax Return Online as well as in offline mode.
In this blog, we will tell you 9 steps to do Income Tax Return Filing Online. Here we go!
To file your Tax Return Online, visit the Income-tax e-filing portal. The following page will appear on your screen-
If you are yet to be registered on the portal, click the “Register Yourself” tab on the right of your screen
If you have registered yourself already, click “Login Here” to log in to the e-filing portal
On the resultant screen, you need to provide your User Id (your PAN), password, and the Captcha
To do Income Tax Return Filing Online, click the ‘e-File’ menu and click the ‘Income Tax Return’ link. You will be directed to the ‘Income Tax Return’ page where your PAN will be auto-populated. On this page, select –
- The appropriate ‘Assessment Year’
- ITR form number ( ITR-1/ ITR-4)
- Filing type to be ‘ Original/Revised return’
- Submission mode as ‘Prepare and submit online’
Click ‘Continue’ to proceed
You will be redirected to a page where you can start filling the form. Before you start, read the “General Instructions” carefully to avoid mistakes that may happen while filing Tax Return Online
Once you have gone through the instructions, fill in the necessary information in different tabs such as ‘General Information’, Tax details‘, ‘Income details‘, ‘Taxes paid and verification‘, and ‘80G‘. You should click the ‘Save Draft’ button from time to time to avoid any loss of data due to session time out.
On the ‘Taxes paid and verification‘ tab you need to choose any of the following options to verify your Tax Return Online –
- I would like to e-Verify
- I would like to e-Verify later within 120 days from the date of filing.
- I don’t want to e-Verify and would like to send signed ITR-V through normal or speed post to “Centralized Processing Center, Income Tax Department, Bengaluru – 560 500” within 120 days from date of filing.
Before submitting the form, recheck the details to avoid mistakes, if any. If you are satisfied, click the ‘Preview and Submit‘ button. You will be allowed to preview your form before the final submission. Click the ‘Submit’ button to upload your ITR
Once your return is uploaded successfully, an acknowledgement (ITR V) will be sent to your registered email Id. The acknowledgement will also appear in your account on the e-filing portal. You can download the same from here as and when you require.
- If you have chosen the ‘I would like to e-Verify’ in Step 7, you can do e-Verification through any of the below-mentioned methods-
- Generate EVC option under ‘My Account’/ EVC generated through a bank account
- Aadhaar OTP
- Prevalidated Demat account’
- Prevalidated bank account’
- If you have chosen any of the other two options in Step 7, the process of filing ITR will not be considered complete (even after submission) till the ITR is verified. You can e-Verify the ITR later by going to ‘My Account>e-Verify Return’ on the portal. Alternately, you can send the signed ITR V to CPC, Bengaluru.
- You can view your uploaded ITR by visiting your account on the e-Filing portal.
- Once your ITR is verified successfully, the Income Tax Department will process it. They will communicate with you if required on your registered email ID and through SMS on your registered mobile number.
- It is not mandatory for you to do Income Tax Return Filing Online
through the Income Tax Department e-Filing portal or any other website of the Government of India. There are many private sector facilitators or service providers through whom you can file your Tax Return Online. In return for their services rendered, they will charge you a fee. The fee will vary from one service provider to another.